This series is all about libsyn’s podcasters. Its sole purpose is to introduce these awesome podcasts to the world as well as share their podcasting insight to empower the community!
Q & A with It Hits Different
When did you start podcasting?
We started podcasting late November 2019 and launched our official podcast January 23rd 2020.
Why did you start podcasting?
We started podcasting because we talked to each other on the phone for hours daily about everything from pop culture to self-improvement. We felt podcasting would be a creative way to show the world are unique perspective & humor, while also encouraging people to be optimistic, joyful, think critically, and challenge group think.
What’s the name of your show and what is it about?
It Hits Different is a society & culture podcast featuring Merisa and Erica aka “The Lewises”. By serendipity, these two former grad school roommates (who oddly shared the same last name) became soul sisters. Bonding over a shared love of travel, philosophical debates, spirituality, food, dance, and unpopular opinions, there is no telling where the conversation may go.
What’s your podcasting set-up? Hardware, software, CMS, etc.
Depending on our schedules, we record together or remotely. We use the following hardware, software, & tools
- ATR 2100 microphone with a Focusrite audio interface
- Zencaster for remote recordings and interviews
- Podtrac and Chartable for download tracking statistics
- Adobe Audition for editing
- Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator for graphics
How have you promoted your podcast?
We relied on social media heavily to promote our podcast, specifically Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. We wanted our fan base to be organic, as such, we did not pressure our friends & families to promote our podcast pages.
A couple weeks before the show we created a trailer of us dancing around Target along to the What about Your Friends by TLC beat to give our audience the essence of our show.
During the season we created a social media plan for Instagram and Facebook. Throughout the week we posted teaser clips, quotes from the episodes, and pictures of us.
What do you know now that you wish you knew when you started?
- The expectations we had for our guest episodes did not align with the reality. Most guests did not promote their episode and people were nervous which led them to not be as open at times to humor.
- The social media time commitment to grow the audience was underestimated. We did well and made it into Apple’s Top 100 thanks to word of mouth but it’ll take more promotion to maintain a high ranking in the charts
- Quality sound on a budget takes a lot of work.
If you’re looking for smart, fun, insightful conversations about oh so many things, you must must must subscribe to It Hits Different!
And if you and your friend are having amazing conversations that you feel would be a brilliant podcast, we would love to have you host your podcast with us! If you need a bit of help to get started we have this FREE Podcasting Quickstart each month!